Friday, October 15, 2010

Come Out Into the Sun

Tuesday night I was part of a staged reading of a musical comedy work-in-progress that included a new song sung by a supposed mute that suddenly starts singing and turns out to be an alien.  OK, I'm not going into the synopsis of the show here, but the song in a beautiful, plaintive ballad about the warmth of the sun, the clear running streams of Earth, and how beautiful the place is to those who've been rocketing throughout the galaxy and haven't been here in a while.  The following refrain was fresh in my mind as, the following day, I backpacked up to a mountain lake on a clear, sunny autumn afternoon:

Come out into the sun
See the streams run clear
Taste the air out here
Come feel the heat upon your shoulders
There's warmth in the boulders

If it happens that someday we make contact with life from other planets, it could be that Earth turns out to be one of the best places around.  What if all the other species long to be in our air and under our sun?  The beauty here could be coveted by the whole galaxy.  I for one want to appreciate it now.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! first off, what a great picture. 2nd, yeah you want aliens? Anyone been in the deep ocean lately? Our planet IS amazing, yet we sit and live inside, and inextricably attached to, the creations of man. Given, there are many marvelous human creations, but man's imagination/hands/technology only goes so far, and really only seeks to replicate or upgrade nature. There is wonderment outside the architecture of man. Get some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wurd Laggy. The alien bit was just speculation, OK? I know Romulans aren't real...yet. I promise I haven't been trying to contact them using any sort of brainwave enhancer I found on ebay or anything, honest. Just appreciating our water sources before they're forcibly hijacked by crustaceans from XT-38-Prime.

    ReplyDelete